Here's another recipe for butternut squash, this time a casserole.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 1/2 (16 ounce) package vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Put butternut squash in the microwave and cook on high, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Cut in half, scoop out seeds and cube. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add squash and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash.
- In a 9x13 inch casserole dish combine 3 cups mashed butternut squash, white sugar, milk, vanilla extract, salt, flour, eggs and 1/4 cup melted margarine.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until set.
- In a medium bowl combine crushed vanilla wafers, 1/2 cup melted margarine and brown sugar. Crumble over top of cooked casserole and return to oven to brown.